Background and Benefits of Raw
The BARF Diet
Many people believe that a raw food diet is the healthiest way to feed your dog. And Raw food diets are sometimes claimed to eliminate allergies (especially skin allergies) as well as extend lifespans.
Why does this happen with a raw food diet?
Because some cooked and commercially produced dog food lacks the nutrients required for some dogs. Some commercial dog food contains fillers and lower quality ingredients which can lead to health issues in dogs.
Dr. Ian Billinghurst, a pioneer in feeding raw food to dogs, recommends that people following a BARF (biologically appropriate raw food or bones and raw food) diet feed about 60 percent raw meaty bones (RMB) and 40 percent vegetables and other food (eggs, organs, and so on).
Just some of the physical benefits of a raw dog food diet can be as follows:
- Cleaner teeth and fresh breath
- Better weight control
- Improved digestion
- Shinier, healthier skin and coat
- Reduction of allergy symptoms
- Harder, smaller, less smelly stools
- Increased mobility in older animals
- More energy and stamina
- Strengthened immune system
- Improved liver, pancreatic and bowel health
- Savings due to less trips to the vet